February 7, 2008

On Drugs

A late night Judyism for all of you lovely people.


So my mother and I are watching television this evening. It's always interesting for us to watch television together because - with the exception of The Golden Girls - our taste in television is usually very different. We may love the same shows (John & Kate Plus 8, Extreme Makeover Home Edition) but you can bet our opinions on the subject matter are going to differ. Mostly I just say nothing. I am used to it and I love my mom for who she is, but I will admit it drives me a little bit wonky sometimes. I imagine I do the same to her.


The same thing happens during commercials. She sees them for face value and observes them through older eyes, from an older generation than I do. I went to college for a degree in business management and marketing. I LOVE to break apart and opinionize (is that a word?) commercials. Nothing is better than a great commercial and I somehow feel qualified to be bossy about them. (Me, bossy?)


I'm rambling. Anyhoo, on to the funny.


So, we're watching television and this commercial comes on for Farmer's Help Point Insurance. I am not familiar with the company but this commercial was interesting. It shows a man walking out of a building to notice some broken glass on the ground where his car had been. His car had been stolen. Suddenly, the asphalt begins sinking and he sees a building with dozens of eyeballs looking down at him, and a cat dog barking at him. The tagline said something like 'keep sane if your car is stolen.' My semi-professional opinion is that the commercial was really stupid and not very good marketing, but I said only, "That commercial was stupid."


Completely nonchalant, Judy says, "They were on drugs."


I am perplexed. "What do you mean? Who was on drugs?" I thoroughly admit I like to needle my mommy like this when she's being cute because I am constantly in awe of her.


"The whole group of people who made this commercial. They all must be sharing drugs to make a commercial like that," she says, with a look of pure disgust on her face. "I don't ever want to see that commercial again." A travesty!


I think I actually laughed out loud and told her she was cute. She looked at me like she had no idea what I was talking about.




Stay off the drugs, marketing execs!

No comments:

Post a Comment