September 19, 2008

Homemade Dishwasher Powder and Detergent

This formula is earth friendly/green, and CHEAP. Here's the condensed instructions of the formula created by Lynn Siprelle of The New Homemaker:

Mix the following ingredients in a plastic container with an airtight lid (one you can shake):

1 cup borax
1 cup baking soda
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup citric acid (Unsweetened Lemonade-Flavored Kool-Aid can be used also, but be sure to avoid any other flavours due to their food dye content)
30 drops a citrus essential oil of your choice

Shake the contents until thoroughly mixed.

Dole out the mixture (one Tbsp per cleaning receptacle) into your dishwasher and use as a light kitchen scouring powder.

Taken from Apartment Therapy.


****** ETA REVIEW ******

I made this powder shortly after we moved into our place and I really like it. It's taken some getting used to, though. For example, if I use too much I get a thin film on my glasses. Not enough and food particles stick to everything. I still have to use a rinsing agent. Next time I will not add as much essential oil. I expect to fiddle with the recipe and get it just right (and minus the film). Overall, worth the ton of money I've saved on this stuff. And green, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment