January 10, 2009

Today

This morning I set out to capture all sorts of yummy things for you lovely people. First, I thought of my aching fingertips and had to show you the mattress and pillow for Moo's baby bed. I spent about 4 hours sewing them last night. Mostly by hand.













Aren't they darling? Mabel could care less, but her Mama is happy.





While I was in Mabel's room taking pictures, Billy Bob showed up and begged me to take a picture of him, too.












One look at that just-woke-up face, and I had to oblige.





Then, I took a picture of this pattern I bought the other day. I am thinking of using it for a quilt for Trevor or Andy. Basically, I have this dream of being able to cuddle under a pile of quilts during the winter, each of the quilts representing things I love in my life. I have a couple of them finished, but I have more to make and don't worry, I'll be taking my time. So, on that note, the boys each need a quilt for their bed. They have blankets I've made, but not quilts. So... I have plans - and they include this pattern, I think. Of course, I haven't gotten Denyse Schmidt's book in the mail yet, so we'll see.











Then it was on to the kitchen to put together breakfast for the Mooer.











But she was more interested in someone else than breakfast.







Sneaky, sneaky. My two girls.

Later, I decided to make some soup. After my big soup post, I figured it would be hypocritical if I didn't actually make some soup. I made some Chicken & Vegetable Soup. Here is what I used:





  • 4 chicken wings and 1 lg chicken breast, poached with sage
  • 3 lg potatoes and 2 carrots, peeled and cubed, then boiled in chicken stock with 1 bay leaf
  • kosher salt & fresh black pepper
  • roux



I used some of the chicken water and some of the vegetable/chicken stock to make the base of the soup (skimmed). Then I added the now-shredded chicken and the vegetables, as well as 1/2 C long grain white rice. Once the rice was cooked, I made Pioneer Woman's white sauce (4 tbsp butter, melted + 6 tbsp flour + 2 C half & half + splash of whole milk) and added it to the soup.





So, it's basically chicken & vegetable soup with a cream base and rice. It is wonderful. I wish I would have had some onion and celery on hand, but I just used what I had. No picture; sorry.




Meanwhile,





Olive needed to go outside. We are working on her telling us when she needs to go. While she was patiently waiting for Trevor to don his boots and coat, I took her picture.






To give you a sense of scale...




Doesn't she look tiny?
She's a pistol, that Olive. And I need to find a way to keep her from barking ALL.THE.TIME. The water bottle only works part of the time. It's a good thing she's so cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment