February 20, 2009

Holy Buckets!

I am overwhelmed.

I am overwhelmed at your generosity of spirit and craft and just want to say thank you. Already, in just a few short days, my Mountain Baby Blankets project has caught fire.

I had more than 600 people on my blog yesterday. Little ol' me. Little ol' attention hog me (maybe not so much anymore, lol). I am overwhelmed. There have been more than 330 visits already this morning. It's amazing. I am humbled and thankful. And remarkably EXCITED.

Thank you for stopping by to read about the handmade blanket drive I am organizing to send blankets to teen mothers in Appalachian Kentucky. Thank you for volunteering your time and finger-flexing abilities to make a cozy blanket for babies and toddlers who otherwise, have almost nothing to cuddle under. These children have greater needs than blankets, of course, but after some bills are paid and some food bought, there isn't money left for their parents to buy blankets for beds. Really.

I am so humbled because I look at my kids' beds. As hard as my financial struggle has been as a single mother of 3, we have excess in comparison to the Children of The Mountains. I can do something. Doesn't make sense for me to send milk or bread. I choose to send WARMTH.

Both for the heart and the body.

Thank you for helping me.


Many of you have asked about a timeline. I would like to send the CAP some blankets before the end of March. And really, I plan on sending blankets as long as people keep sewing. I may need help with shipping in the future, but hey, the Lord will help me work it out. I just feel called to do this and called to use my big mouth to get others to do it, too. If you are interested in making a blanket (or several), please email me directly. My email address is included to the right in my profile information.



If you haven't seen the Diane Sawyer Hidden America special, watch it here.

7 comments:

  1. a lot of credit goes to you for thinking this up, and then taking action!! i'm excited to be part of something so great.

    thanks for your comment on my blog. the monkey bar fabric is a hr fabric. i posted an answer on my blog but wasn't sure if you would see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, was so touched by the Diane Sawyer piece on the children of central Appalachia. I am going to try to put a link in my sidebar to your project. Thanks so much for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my hubby and I saw that special. He is from that area. It was heart wrenching to see. I can get you one blanket by the end of March. Will the project go beyond that. I would like to make more but with a 10 month old I don't have a lot of time to sew. Please email me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the sweet comments you left today! And for starting this projects, its amazing! -ALlison

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow rachel! this is amazing--you are amazing! thanks for getting me involved. i have 2 receiving blankets, and am about to go through the blankets my kids were given that sit on the shelf NEVER used (still brand new). Is that okay???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched that episode when it was on and was sick to my stomach!! I would love to help out any way that I can!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel, can blankets be knitted or crocheted as well as sewed/quilted?

    ReplyDelete