February 23, 2009

I'm a Machine

It's Monday again already?



This weekend brought with it a final church visit with friends who are moving to Texas, a trip or two to the store, and lots of sewing.



I dragged my children to Jo-Anne's where they had solid broadcloth on sale for $1.79/yd. I had to pick up a few (54) yards in a variety of colors. A wise lady told me (by way of her blog) to stretch my designer fabrics by using lots of solids. Duh. Seems like a no-brainer but I hadn't thought of it. Thanks, Nettie! Also, it is far more economical to back a quilt in solids at $1.79/yd than in designer fabric at $9+/yd. I was planning ahead.







I finished my next quilt top. I have a big project I want to work on, so I had to get it out of the way.







Of course, later I brought some unused fabrics back into my room to put away and Lo! I LOVE these fabrics together and now I might have to leave them right where they are, inspiring me to make them into something. Hate it when that happens.





Yummy.


I spent quite some time planning out a few crib quilts for Mountain Baby Blankets. This is where the solid broadcloth backing will come in handy.


I also finished Club Dead for the third time this weekend. Excellent vampire series. I also mention it because I can see it peeking out from behind my fabric there.





So yes, lots of sewing machine time. I find that once I get my quilt blocks laid out, or even before that - quilt pieces stacked up - the machine work is fast for me. Mostly because I don't pin. Of course, if you're like me, you decide at the last minute that you want to trim your quilt in orange and have to do surgery on the quilt top to dissect, remove, and replace one triangle to tie it all together. *Sigh.*

What was I saying? Oh yes. I'm a machine sometimes.


Mabel was also a machine this weekend. Trevor and Andy got a game from the thrift store last week - Blasters, or something. It's basically table shuffleboard for kids. The squeeze gun pops the coin out and sends it blasting toward the pockets on the other side of the table. Trevor spent five minutes showing Moo how to "blast" the coins. Neither of us thought she was big enough to squeeze the blaster gun, so Trev headed to shower and left the game board on the table when he went. I went back to making dinner.


A little while later I heard a machine gun behind me. BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!






She even reloaded, climbed back into the chair, and did it again. Little coins flying everywhere and one very happy baby.




Who is maybe not so much of a baby anymore.





Daggone it.

2 comments:

  1. You gotta love such a smile!! She could light up a room. And her brothers smile too! I bet her giggles are contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are adorable playing that game! Do you think you could look up the name for me? I tried looking up Blasters or Boomers on Amazon and couldn't find anything - I'm always on the lookout for games that my five year old can play with his younger brother without my help!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete