February 18, 2009

Mountain Baby Blankets

Thank you for your responses. It is wonderful to hear that so many of you are willing to make a blanket or two for a child in need for my new project.

I placed a call this morning to the Christian Appalachian Project and am still waiting to hear from them how best to coordinate shipping these baby blankets as they come in for teen mommies, and which agency they feel is best in the area to distribute these lovely blankets. Stay tuned for that information.

Last night I went home in a daze. I was amazed that my little idea was already becoming bigger than I expected. I was humbled and motivated for action. Because really, no matter how you may feel about the circumstances surrounding the Children of The Mountains - at the heart of this issue there is really only one thing: innocent children are in need. We can all try to help somehow.

I sewed for a few hours before going to lie in the bed and make a list of all of the things I already have on hand for Mountain Baby Blankets. I'll share because you may already have everything you need to make a blanket, too.

- yards of solid broadcloth (bought on sale and never used)
- yard sale quilt (bought for $2, big enough to upcycle into 2 baby quilts)
- unfinished pink and cream afghan (need to finish)
- remnants and non-favorite fabric quarters (perfect for a scrap quilt)
- vintage sheets (bought for $2-$4 each, big enough for 3 or 4 blankets from each)
- batting remnants from larger quilts


Maybe you have some flannel sheets lying around that can be cut and repurposed. Maybe you have a huge stash of scrap that has been waiting for a good cause. Maybe you bought too much flannel or fabric the last time it was on sale at your favorite fabric store. All of these are stupendous reasons to make a blanket for Mountain Baby Blankets.

Thanks to those of you who have already offered to help. Thanks to those of you who will.

If you are interested in making or sending a blanket, please email me. My email is in the profile to the right. ------------>

Lastly...

**WANTED**
I have had several folks ask to place a button on their blog directing traffic here to my site, but I don't know how to make a button! Sad, but true. So, if you know someone who could volunteer their services, I'm in need of a Mountain Baby Blankets button of some kind. Send them my way! Thank you!

CHILDREN OF THE MOUNTAINS APPALACHIA APPALACHIAN CHILDREN COAL MINING CHILDREN TEEN PREGNANCY BABY BLANKETS FOR TEEN MOMS CHRISTIAN APPALACHIAN PROJECT MAKE SOMETHING FOR APPALACHIAN KIDS HELP APPALACHIAN PEOPLE FAMILY DIANE SAWYER'S HIDDEN AMERICA CHILDREN DONATE FABRIC DONATE BLANKETS PROJECT LINUS MOUNTAIN BABY BLANKETS

4 comments:

  1. I would like to make a blanket and mail it to you. you can email me @ holly@fabricmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've absolutely gotten one quilt made (even before I actually emailed you about this) and am going to email you right now about sending it. Lovely idea, fabulous blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know what type of button you would like for the project and I will see what I can come up with.
    ljlehn at charter dot net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to make a quilt and send it to you. Are there any specifcs that would would like to see? you can email me at sprocket@bendcable.com

    ReplyDelete