February 27, 2009

Seriously.

Holy cow! (Here I go again with that, but honestly, it is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of our project.)

Ladies. Seriously.

SERIOUSLY.

Are you as excited as I am every time you think of our project? Are your toes tapping? Is your blood pumping around inside of you like shaken up soda pop? Are you spontaneously clapping at your computer screen? Because I AM.

I have been contacted this week about 51 blankets being SENT to the Christian Appalachian Project on behalf of Mountain Baby Blankets. Amazing. If I were at a podium I'd say, "Give yourself a round of applause."

I am humbled. I have no idea what to say except for thank you. Thanks for thinking of these babies. But I feel like there is so much more I must tell you.

Are you ready? I couldn't believe this when I heard it.

I talked to my contact, K, at the CAP today and a lovely blog reader walked into K's office today and handed her blankets on behalf of Mountain Baby Blankets.



K met with CAP's public relations team about our project. That's K on the left there. She called me immediately, so overcome with our generosity. I had no idea what to say except, "You are welcome." It's odd for me because I'm not the one doing this... we're ALL doing this. WE'RE ALL DOING THIS TOGETHER. But how cool is this?!?!?!

So my gal, K, and I talked about the 51 blankets on the way - and, People, that's not how many people have contacted me saying that they were going to make a blanket (that number is over 150 now), those 51 blankets are finished and ready to ship/shipping. Those 51 blankets came from 19 ladies. Can you just imagine? I can't wait to see how big this gets. I told K to clear out the warehouse because, apparently, I'm not the only one who wants to warm and comfort those Appalachian babies! Yee haw!!!!

My head is just spinning. There is more. K has promised me pictures when they distribute these first few blankets to needful mommies. There was talk of a community baby shower this sumer in which YOUR BLANKETS will be gifted to the local teen mommies who attend! AAAAHHHHH!
We have to keep sewing. Spread the word. Tell your knitting circles and quilting bees at church, Girls. These babies need to be warm! The newborns need to be swaddled! Even during the summer there will be need for receiving blankets and handmade infant clothing.

I am just GIDDY. I sound like an idiot every time I call my mom or Mindy or BeckAY to update them on the project. I am excited and a little embarrassed, and completely and totally overcome with emotion at this.

Seriously.

It started so simply. I watched a television show that brought me back to my youth - in a really, really overcoming way. My heart ached at the thought of little children in need and all I did was think of a way that I could help, all the way from South Dakota. I thought of the talent God gave to me to sew and create. God stirred something inside of me and I feel completely led every time I call K, every time I try to wrap my head around what Mountain Baby Blankets has become. The Lord above gave me a big, fat mouth... it's about time I had some public way to use it for good!

Thank you all for joining me in this effort. Thank you all so, so much. This is so good.

*Sigh.*



There is no deadline for our efforts. If you are interested in making a blanket, please leave a comment with your contact info or email me. My email address is listed in my profile.

7 comments:

  1. What am awesome post!!!
    Yes you done good, given a voice to this sitution and got things rolling!!!
    I posted a couple pics of my progress on #1 on my blog!! I am working!!!!!
    Hugs,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am Cathy in Midlothian,VA. I graduated from UVA/Wise and taught 2 years of school in the late 70's so I have seen firsthahd some of the poverty out in the areas. I would like to make several baby blankets. My email address is:
    clcknits@aol.com
    Thank you,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kuddos to you for having a big heart. Small acts of kindness make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi rachel ~ thank you for your email a couple of weeks ago. i'm so sorry my reply time is slow these days. your email was actually deleted (oops) and i can't find an email link here on your blog. i just wanted to encourage you, participate, and ask how to put one of your buttons/links on my blog... email when you get a chance.

    this is amazing what you are putting together, i'm so glad you are putting it out there, and am happy to help!

    heather
    beauty that moves

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Project. I may be able to send some. I did not get a email for you from your profile? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot. Patrice

    ReplyDelete
  6. jill -in ohioMarch 05, 2009

    Just found your post on this project---I am so on board---we homeschool and will get moving on a giving project to finish up the school year---May God bless you wonderful heart of giving!
    will contact you with our progress!!
    Jill-in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've wanted to do this for a long time, but just happened upon your blog this morning. I live in southern WV - in the heart of Appalachia - and would love to be involved in this project. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction? Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete