March 23, 2009

All Encompassing, Simple Chicken Soup Recipe

I want to share with you the beauty of this simple soup. This soup has powers.



This soup is so simple and delicious that my children eat it. If you have young children and try to feed them grown-up soup, you know exactly what I mean. My kids are strictly opposed to anything green floating in soup (i.e. - herbs, flavor). They will also turn it away if they detect even the slightest hint of an onion lurking in there.



When we all passed around the funk a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to throw something together to heal their little bodies (and mine). I didn't use a recipe; I've made this out of my head plenty of times before. After eating this soup, both T and A swear that they were healed (Lazarus-style). They both begged me to make it after church on Sunday. Seriously, begged me. Folks, it must be kid-yummy because them asking me to make anything short of cookies is WEIRD.



Without further explanation, here is my "recipe" for simple chicken soup. Feel free to enhance the beauty of it in your own way.


Ingredients
1 storebought rotisserie chicken with the skin (oh yes, I did just say that) OR 8 cooked chicken breast tenderloins that have been slightly browned in butter and garlic and chopped
6-8 C water (I totally eyeball this)
6 chicken bullion cubes (have more handy, but start with 6)
1 bay leaf
pinch of sage
dash of marjoram*
dash of parsley*
fresh ground pepper & kosher salt to taste
6-7 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
8 baby carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, deribbed and chopped
2 C ditalini pasta


I use one of these to get started:

Put the water on to boil. While you're waiting, grind up (i.e. bang with a blunt object) the bullion cubes and whisk them into the pot. Add the bayleaf, salt, pepper & herbs. Chop and add in the potatoes and carrots. Boiling them in the soup itself will allow them to absorb the flavor of the stock, as well as thicken it just slightly. While they are boiling, take the rotisserie chicken off of the bone. (I choose traditional rotisserie chicken and not lemon, garlic, or BBQ - be careful; that rotisserie display at the Walmarts gets crazy and you have to pay attention!). Chop it up pretty roughly, selecting an even amount of light and dark meat - and I include a bit of crispy skin, too. That's where the extra flavor is going to come in for this soup. Once it's chopped (I use just over 1/2 of the chicken), it goes into the soup. The celery, too. Reduce the heat to medium and add the pasta. It's important to keep stirring while the pasta cooks because the pieces in this soup are heavy and will hold the pasta down. Continually taste and season accordingly.



That's it. It'll take you 30 minutes to put it together and it will feed your family for at least 2 days. Ohhhhhh..... yum.




It's so, so good. Go make it!



* I know, I know... I told you that T and A won't touch soup with green floaties... but this soup has surpassed this rule! I've watched them slurp down the above-mentioned floaties and ask for more soup!

Also, I meant to take a picture but forgot until it was devoured from its bowls - and then it wasn't all pretty in the stock pot anymore. I hope you'll forgive me and just go make the soup.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel,
    I just found your blog and read all the info on the Mountain Baby Blanket Project. I think that's wonderful and have posted the info and your blog info on my blog today. Hopefully anyone that reads my blog will come over to your's and get inspired to make some quilts for the project.
    Sharon Z in Upstate NY

    ReplyDelete