March 23, 2009

Two More For The Babies

I am so happy to be a part of Mountain Baby Blankets. I'm so touched that all of you are equally inspired. You are all making a difference!



We have shipped 117 amazing blankets so far to the CAP for distribution to the young children in Eastern Appalachian Kentucky. Again, THANK YOU.



When I began this project, I knew I wanted to use my stash to make up some cuties for the babies. Here I had all of this fabric to spare, and there they were - cold and needing. *I digress. * Anyway, I decided to make 3 quilts for the babies.



The first was a stacked coin quilt (finished pictures of that to come, as I finished the handsewn binding on that one last night).



I also made two disappearing 9 block quilts using 9 fat quarters each (plus backing). Talk about easy! For these I measured all of the fat quarters I was using and trimmed them to a uniform size. Then I laid them out on the floor in a pattern I liked. I sewed them together like this - so easy! Once I had one enormous block, I cut it in half in both directions to make four big squares. I flipped those four squares around and sewed them together to make the top. It literally took me less than an hour to do both of the quilt tops. I sandwiched my batting and backing fabric and top quilted both of them using a random criss-cross pattern and purple thread. I will admit that I was afraid I'd run short on time, so I machine-sewed the binding on both of these quilts. In hindsight, I wish I'd handsewn them, but I know they were made with love.





I really am quite happy with the way they came out.

I was also able to get the binding on a quilt for my Etsy shop, so I hope to have that up soon!

6 comments:

  1. LOVE THEM!!! They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so beautiful. I included a link to this wonderful project in my post for today...

    http://the6oclockstitch.blogspot.com/2009/03/goodmorning-vintage.html

    Thanks for letting me share. It's a wonderful mission you're on.

    Blessings...
    The 6 O'Clock Stitch

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you put together the disappearing 9 patch. I will have to try that next. I have one baby blanket that is ready to be quilted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful quilts! I have added a post on my blog about this terrific project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel,
    I am so happy to have found your site! I have had a burden on my heart for eastern KY for a long time. I am big on prayer but also action. My grandmother was born and raised in Harlan and most of my family still live in KY. I would LOVE to help out with this project if I can. I've bookmarked the Christian Appalachain Project site to keep up to date with their projects, etc.
    I was wondering if you could point me to some specs for making these blankets. Do they have to be any particular size? If I make some quilts, do I send them to you or somewhere else?
    Help me get started, and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blue and green quilt!

    ReplyDelete