August 3, 2009

Mabel's Picture

Did you notice something awry with Mabel's fairy photo?

I did. And Lulu did.



Sort of looks like a tornado went through the trees, doesn't it? Let this be a lesson to you that you can turn lemons into lemonade during an at-home photo session. Let me show you.

Here is the straight out of the camera shot:


You know, I threw the wings on her just for fun. She hated them. Hated them. And she took off running. I snapped away. Later when I saw this shot, I saw potential. Too dark? Yep. A bit blurry? Yep. How about a couple of poles in the backgroud? You betcha. But don't you dare tell me I can't do something.
In Photoshop Elements, I edited the photo to remove the poles first, taking very special care not to blur or remove any pixels near Moo's arm. I also used the Spot Healing tool to add some grass here and there. It just takes a lot of practice.


Then I bleached it using an action for PSE and sent it on it's merry way, only to have Lulu point out the tornado effect. Looking at the original photo you can see that the trees DO look that way already. But it looked silly once the poles were gone and the action was applied.
So I did some more Spot Healing work today and ended up with this.


Much better.

4 comments:

  1. Woah - photoshop is amazing.

    -Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. The editing makes it look even more amazing. What a cute shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now it's perfect!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete