There are 3 tabs in my Excel spreadsheet for the "DURING" portion of my upcoming move:
Things To Do
Moving Contracts & Receipts
THINGS TO DO:
- Count boxes and items as they go on and come off of the moving truck - keep master list (color coded by room is best)
- Have a designated broken down box and trash spot in the new house. Remember: If you unpack something you can't find a home for, you don't need it!
- Unpack overnight items first
- On the first day, make breakfast, buy groceries, and plan supper
- Locate fire extinguisher and fuse box
OVERNIGHT NEEDS: The point of this tab is to keep track of the items you and your family will need before everything is unloaded or unpacked. In moves past, I have put this box in my truck with me so that I am not without what we need. Here is my list of overnight needs:
- Medications, including pain/headache relievers (why is it that kids get a fever at the most inopportune times?), band-aids
- Old towels for bathing and old handtowels for cleaning (use your nice ones to pack the dishes!)
- Toilet paper
- Paper plates, cups, and plastic silverware if you use them (many times they can be delivered free with Pizza)
- Cell phone and charger
- Phone book and your moving binder
- Ziplock bags
- Box of trash bags
- Tool bag and drill (my tool bag includes scissors and batteries)
- Cash for pizza
- Bucket, soap, and sponge
- Light bulbs
- Baby needs (diapers and wipes, sippy cup, BABY GATE)
- Important paperwork (birth certificates, etc)
- Camera and laptop
- Quilts, blankets, and pillows for sleeping before the beds are set up
MOVING CONTRACTS & RECEIPTS: In my moving binder I keep a large yellow clasp envelope in this section. Whenever I obtain a receipt for my move, I put it in the envelope. Then when the move is complete, I file this envelope in my tax folder (moves are tax deductible!).
To read tips about Things To Do BEFORE A Move, click here.
To read tips about Moving Supplies, click here.