August 27, 2009

White Quilt Update

Recently I posted about decorating with white. One of the things tumbling around in my brain was an all-white quilt for my bed.


I was all set to purchase the fabric (about 15 yards of Kona white cotton) and topquilt 4 large squares with channel lines. My plan was to hand-sew the squares into one large king-sized quilt. It was going to be all messy and yummy and crumply and white. Sort of a pain in the ass, but I was getting all geeked up about it. I was even thinking of ruffles!


Then I came across this.


It's an all-white channel stitched quilt (very Pottery Barn-esque) at Target. It was on sale for less than $60. You quilters know that I couldn't possibly purchase enough front and back yardage for a king sized quilt, plus batting for less than $60. I had to snap it up.

So now it is on my bed and I have remorse. I like it. Love it, really. Except I have this nagging voice in my head telling me I could have made something more memorable. Something my kids would want to pass down. But I sold out.

I hate that feeling.

9 comments:

  1. That's not selling out, that's being real.

    You could still make a throw sized quilt for the end of the bed. layer it white on white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not a sell out. I would have done the same thing. Look at it this way, now you have more time to work on another quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Cheryl's idea make a smaller white quilt for the foot of the bed. And you are correct $60 was a good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have lots and lots of time... and alot on your plate at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the pp's suggestion. There is no rule that you can't make your own version. Besides, you need two quilts for when one needs a wash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right, you couldn't possibly make anything for that price...so make another something as an heirloom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Think maybe it's bothering me because it's so stark and new looking?

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think it's a sellout. If you're still feeling unsettled you could always make a mini or even a doll size quilt of heirloom quality!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you had decided against buying it, just think what your nagging voice in head would have said about the extra money you spent just so you could make it yourself.

    ReplyDelete