October 29, 2009

A Christmas Gift

Have I shared with you yet that my boss is a very good and strong Christian man? Have I told you that, since I have joined the company, he has started a volunteer program to be the Hands and Feet in the community?

He wants to give back in a big way. He is rewarding our employees who give back. And he asked me to head up the entire program for our company.

ITSSOEXCITING!

So I was sitting here today printing out some information for our volunteers and I thought about Christmas. I thought about how, here, "Happy Holidays" isn't allowed. "We say Merry CHRISTmas here," he told me. I thought about how, at the end of a meeting last week, he prayed.

HE PRAYED.

So odd and so beautiful at the same time. I've never worked for a company that was 'out of the closet' about Jesus. It's freaking fantastic! I don't have to be afraid of being sued or fired if I stand up and shout praise to God on a Monday afternoon. Or if I ask for prayer on a Friday morning.

Seriously. Where am I? I really continue to find myself so spectacularly surprised that Da Plains is this fruitful to me. I knew, when the tears fell from my eyes every time I visited Lulu out here before we moved - I knew this was the place I needed to live. God is here. He is here and he is present and he is Living OUT LOUD through people like me.

So, back to my volunteer program. Christmas was on my mind this morning and I thought about the two dinners that our company is sponsoring at a local shelter. I'm planning to take the kids with me; the boys can't wait to go. They need to be the Hands and Feet of our Lord. They need to give the best Christmas gift of all and see how blessed they truly are.

Then I thought of our babies and about our Mountain Baby Blankets project. I'd like to see more cold toes covered up on Christmas morning, wouldn't you? I thought of how blessed I am to have the mindset that I do, to have so many online friends who give such beautiful gifts to complete strangers. You people just blow me away. I think we're up to 500 blankets now with more on the way.

THAT is the best Christmas gift. GIVING.

I strongly encourage you to find an organization in your community that will let you to give back to those less fortunate. Go through your garage and donate old-but-good toys for children who don't have any. Give those too-small boots to your Salvation Army or local church. Or, go feed the hungry. Buy presents for random families. Pay for gas for someone at the station.

I don't know what's going to happen when I stand across the table from the hungry in December. When I ladel out the food I've cooked and look into their eyes. I wonder if I'll be able to hold it together, or if all the humble blessings I've had in the past 2 years will crash down around me. Whatever happens, I know it will be worthy and beautiful and full of the Holy Spirit. It will change and strengthen me. I also know I'm packing tissues.

Food for thought today. Consider putting GIVING BACK on your list this year.

4 comments:

  1. What a great post - love the last line! I will remember to add that to all my lists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the thoughts on being the Hands and Feet of Jesus. The church I belong to here in Portland became part of a program called the Advent Conspiracy. Last year I was even able to inspire my no believeing family members to give to others: for our gift exchange we drew names and gave to that persons organization of choice. So much good came of it! You can find more info here http://www.adventconspiracy.org/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder ... and you ARE lucky to work there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post and how great for you to work in such a place. I work in a public educational institution and we have to be careful of what we say. However, my immediate supervisor is a christian man and we even go to the same church, so we are able to debrief the weekend sermons many Monday mornings. :)

    ReplyDelete