October 20, 2009

Two Sets of Joneses

As I was making pizza last night, we had our iTunes playing in the background. Andy sang along with He Reigns (Newsboys), while Trevor shouted out to God You Reign (Lincoln Brewster). Even Mabel loves the little voices at the end of God You Reign (Lincoln's son, by the way).

After those two requests were granted, I put it on shuffle and went back to my pepperoni.

And the dang song came on. The song that makes me stop every. single. time. I heard this song for the first time earlier this year. I'd never even heard of the band before. The song was part of our church service. It made me stop on that day, too.






Two Sets of Joneses, by Big Tent Revival




This here's a song about two sets of Joneses:
Rothchild and Evelyn, Rueben and Sue
Just for discussion, thru random selection,
We've chosen two couples who haven't a clue




Rothchild was lucky to marry so wealthy,
Evelyn bought him a house on the beach
Rueben and Sue they had nothing but Jesus
and at night they would pray that He cared for them each




And the rain came down,
and it blew the four walls down
And the clouds they rolled away,
One set of Joneses was standing that day




Evelyn's Daddy was proud of young Rothchild
He worked the late hours to be number one
Just newlyweds and their marriage got rocky,
He's flying to Dallas, she's having a son




Rueben was holding a Gideon's Bible
When He screamed "it's a Boy" so that everyone heard
And the guys at the factory took a collection
Again God provided for bills he incurred




And the rain came down,
and it blew the four walls down
And the clouds they rolled away,
One set of Joneses was standing that day




So what is the point of this story,
What am I trying to say?
Is your Life built on the Rock of Christ Jesus,
Or a sandy foundation you've managed to lay?




Well, needless to say Evelyn left her husband,
Sued him for every penny he had
And I truly wish that those two would find Jesus
Before things get worse then they already have




And the rain came down,
and it blew the four walls down
And the clouds they rolled away,
One set of Joneses was standing that day




Yes the rain came down,
and it blew the four walls down
And the clouds they rolled away,
There's two set's of Joneses... which ones will you be?






This song makes me grateful for how far I've come in the past few years. It also drags up feelings of guilt over my not dragging my ex-husband to the cross, not forcing the issue of church. But we can't do that, see. It sucks, but we're not allowed to drag people like that. And you know, my walk with Christ wasn't nearly as close back then as it is now anyway. I feel guilty about that, too.


I know I'm not supposed to feel guilty.


So instead I'm going to post this song here and make you promise to watch it. Watch it with your spouse. Be sure your priorities are straight. Quit fibbing to yourself and saying that you're working those long hours for your family when you're really working for the love of money (is that you?). Be sure you are leaving work at work and spending time at home with your spouse and children (is that you?). I beg you to make your time count, and then give EVERYTHING TO GOD. If you don't do these things, you will end up in dark place.



You might end up like lonely Rothchild, and lonely Evelyn. You might end up like me, starting over. I am grateful for the journey, though. Every step. It's bittersweet knowing my life had to change the way it did in order to be what it is now.


Please believe me when I tell you that money... money is NOTHING. Money is a WASTE. That big house isn't important. Being the best or the brightest or the weathiest for your age isn't where it's at. Your treasure isn't in this world, unless you count your family. That's the treasure we get to have here on Earth. Our treasure awaits us in Heaven.




4 comments:

  1. This is so great - that song is amazing...and your honesty and open sharing is just so great - what a great way to start my blog reading today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH!!! I Saw BTR perform this song like 12 YEARS ago! I love them! This song has an awesome message.

    Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember though, that even IF your ex had knelt before the cross, that doesn't mean your marriage would have 'worked'. From experience, I know many a Christian man who remains abusive, addicted, or carry a bag of other sins around with them. Jesus doen't make a man perfect, He makes sinners saved. Sometimes no matter how often a man prays, he can't be 'right' for a woman or a marriage. Keep moving forward Rachel!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-)
    great song
    good advice from you.

    ReplyDelete