November 30, 2009

Christmas Is Coming


Creative Kismet


Oh hey, the countdown is on, say!


With Thanksgiving out of the way, I say BRING ON THE SNOW! I have some great ideas for Christmas already. I'd like for this to be a green holiday again for us. Lots of vintage, handmade, and reusable items. Here are some things on my mind for this year:


Last week, I found 40-ish vintage Christmas cards for $4 at Savers.


I picked up a boardgame for $2 and the entire Sesame Street library (circa 1980?) and Captain Underpants set for less than $6 total.
I bought a black, beaded halter top (you know the type) for a Christmas party for $6. I had budgeted WAY more than that for my outfit, let me tell you!


I want to fill some vintage jars with mini marshmallows for the boys as a gift. Just because. Just because can you imagine what their little faces will look like if they open a jar of marshmallows that is theirs alone? Just because? FUN!



I want a photo wall for Christmas (which really starts with me buying some Polaroid 600 film for my vintage Polaroid cameras).


Cookie



I found this idea on Apartment Therapy and have already picked up 4 pairs of gloves and enough velcro dots and wiffle balls to fill two big buckets! The boys are going to FLIP OUT when they see this!





If I find the time, I know two little boys who are getting a colorful door in their room by Christmas! I can't be the only one who decorates for Christmas, am I?



Dottie Angel


I'm making a pom-pom garland for... somewhere in the house. Andy saw the pile and gasped OUT LOUD as he ran over and squooshed them up to his face. He asked for a basket of poms for Christmas. Isn't that the most precious thing you've ever heard? Why certainly, Son. You may have a basket of pom-poms from Mommy. Bet you a dollar he names them.


Posie Gets Cozy


Someone is getting a handmade bunting with thrifted linens and fabrics for their room!



I've also picked up a few craft kits for the kids, and a baby doll with blinking eyes for Mabel. Though, that shouldn't count for Christmas because she's already found her and started carrying her around by the head.


We're going to paint some more of the dough ornaments that we made last year and get them on the tree.

I'm looking for a vintage typewriter for Trevor.


This one from here


And, Folks, the goodies I find aren't in bad condition. If you knew me, you would know that I hand-picked every handout in elementary school and would only select the most crisp and new-looking piece of paper. I eyed the exact mint-condition textbook I wanted from across the room. Even today when I shop, I pick the best I can find. So, the boxes aren't cracked and broken. There are no stains or rips. And with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and a little elbow grease, these items look brand new.


I'm also going to wrap presents with the pretty pages from my Antropologie catalog or the comics. Believe me when I tell you the kids don't care what they are ripping open.


Dottie Angel


I love this season!




*All links properly credited on my Tumblr here.

3 comments:

  1. Nice blog with very nice pictures.Christmas season is a magically special time when family and friends come together to celebrate. Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your ideas are fantastic! I am going to use that marshmallow thing.. my little ones adore the silly little things, and who doesn't like having her own container for things?
    and now you have ME wanting a polaroid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all fantastic! I have been wanting to make a bunting for some time, and I think you may have inspired me to actually do it! swoon!
    Those packages are divine as well!

    p.s. I love Christmas too!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete