December 22, 2009

The Sitter's Quilt








There is a very lovely lady in our lives. She watches the kids every day. She loves them, dotes on them, and doesn't tolerate any monkey business. I knew I would make her a quilt for Christmas this year.


Over the past several weeks I've collected pieces of green and pink, with little bits of yellow. Much of it came from my stash. Then I found the beautiful vintage sheet for my backing. While the kids were with their dad over Thanksgiving I got to work.


The piecing is a simple disappearing 9 block pattern, and I quilted it in a grid with white thread. It is lap/twin sized and, she tells me, very warm indeed. The whole thing took me less than 48 hours to cut, piece, quilt, and handbind. I felt so happy making it, thinking of all this lovely woman does for our family.


It was my favorite gift to give this year.
**UPDATE**
Would it surprise you to learn that I forgot to take pictures of the final product here? It's true. I had envisioned this quilt hung on my wall for a good "completed WIP" shot and then... I just forgot. Now, I see the sitter every day so hopefully one day I will take my camera and get that final shot. Until then, you'll have to just roll your eyes at me.

4 comments:

  1. I made 3 quilts for family members this Christmas. I like to think of the love I have for them "wrapping" around them in the quilt. All 3 (2 sisters-in-law, 1 nephew) were very happy with their quilts! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need more pictures of this one please! I LOVE that sheet for backing! drooling......

    ReplyDelete
  3. More pictures so I can see the finished product, please!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooo I wish I were their sitter!

    ReplyDelete