When we moved out here and then moved again, I somehow lost 3 of those stockings. Mysteriously, I also lost my desire to be precocious and snooty at the holidays, too... hmmmm, food for thought there.
So we needed new stockings this year. Four of them. I decided to take a tip from Dottie Angel (whom I adore and you will learn more about next year when I take her Challenge of the Utmost Kind) and MAKE THEM. I used the one PBK stocking I had left as a template.
I did not pin anything. I barely even traced lines.
I used entirely repurposed materials for this project. Specifically, I used two old tablecloths, an old linen dish cloth and half a dozen doilies. I was even lucky enough to find a huge pile of white felt that I bought last year (to give structure to my stockings) and some old interfacing that had never been used - cut for an abandoned project a year ago (so what; I used it anyway) to reinforce my stockings and make the white sheeting more opaque.
I was fortunate that the tablecloth I found (for $4, by the way) was trimmed in darling Santas and yule bells, and Christmas trees. I cut 8 of them out - 2 for each stocking - so that all 4 could be displayed on either side.
Over the course of two nights, I sandwiched my layers together, adding bits and details along the way. It's silly the amount of excitement I gain from repurposing fun things. Truly these stockings came together in no time at all. Believe me when I tell you: not ONE single pin!
The kids are already arguing over who gets which one. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to embroider names on the cuffs or not. Doesn't matter. They are all delicious!