May 30, 2009
I want to wait until I'm settled in back at home to blog properly about the details of this week and talk about the hippo. I hope I don't lose all of you while you're waiting.
A brief summary to tide you over: gorgeous red patent leather pumps, divorce is final, Shoes refused to see his kids until Christmas (yes, really), still - a happy, joyful hippopotamus.
May 23, 2009
I covet your prayers that this next week goes as planned and expected. After all, I have a hippopotamus to expose.
Thank you all for following our journey.
May 19, 2009
281 mommies won't be worrying about chilly toes.
Seriously, there are tears in my eyes. I can't believe this. 281 blankets have been made by your loving hands and offered so generously to this cause. And there are more coming ...
A good blog friend of mine, V, lives very near the Christian Appalachian Project office and stopped by last week to drop seven more blankets that she made (thanks, V!). She gave me this report:
"I just dropped off 7 more receiving blankets today and talked to K -- she has sent 281 quilts/blankets -- had another 10 to send plus the 7 I dropped off today."
I have also been contacted by several sewing groups who are quilting for our babies. Entire groups of ladies, sitting around giving testimony and sewing up love for the babies. They will be sending dozens more blankets to the CAP for our project!
To see some of the beauty surrounding those precious Appalachian babies, click HERE to see our Flikr group.
May 18, 2009
May 17, 2009
May 12, 2009
What's on your list?
May 11, 2009
There is a restaurant in town that makes the BEST tomato zucchini soup, so good I would eat it constantly. Yesterday I decided to try making it for myself (minus the zucchini, only because they didn't have a good selection). And since I was starving while I was shopping, I had to choose some easy ingredients.
Easy Tomato Soup
1 large can Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup*
3/4 can whole milk, 1/4 can Half & Half (refilling the soup can)
1 can diced tomatoes, with the juice (next time I will use petite diced)
8 large basil leaves, chopped
1 tsp ground black pepper
Combine and simmer for as long as you can stand to wait.
THAT'S IT! I served the soup alongside grilled cheese made from bakery fingerbread and cheddar cheese. DELICIOUS.
* I absolutely love Campbell's Tomato Soup because of it's sweetness. If you have another, less sweet variety, I would suggest adding 1 tsp sugar to your soup.
May 10, 2009
- 9:00am A knock on the door. Two boys bring in a pink tray with toasted waffles, red grapes, and a carefully-balanced glass of apple juice. HUGE smiles on their faces.
- 9:04am Two well-thought-out, handmade gifts: a book by Trevor ("I will love you forever...") and a cookbook with an amazing mac & cheese recipe by Andy.
- 9:08am The Moo joins us, climbing up on the bed and sitting on my neck.
- 9:15am Call to Nana.
- 9:25am Mabel and I shower and play "cups" with plastic deodorant lids. I fill it up, she pours it out, and says, "Here, Mama" over and over again. This goes on for several minutes and I try very hard not to cry, trying to engrave this moment in my mind forever.
- 9:45am Moo falls off the 'loo and bumps her noggin. I soothe her and trim her nails. I curl her hair and fix a barrette in the top curls.
- 9:52am Mabel reads vampire fiction while I dry my hair and put on my makeup.
- 10:00am I lotion my legs and Mabel, ever watchful of any girly stuff I do, insists on lotion for her legs, too. I teach her how to rub in the lotion on her chubby knees.
- 10:10am I break up an argument between the boys while half naked and getting ready for church. Trevor tells me that it was so much fun to surprise me with breakfast. He is proud.
- 10:30am Off to church we go, where I brag on my two thoughtful sons and my one gorgeous daughter, both of whom I adore and who, so simply, love me back.
May 6, 2009
She's the M...
May 5, 2009
May 4, 2009
LOVE. Boy they mean it when they tell you to order down a size, too.
My list of weekend accomplishments stands thus:
- Switch out purse
- Purge, spring clean, clear junk from closets
- Iron pants
- Nip waist on grey jeans & 2 pair chinos *
- Take in 3 shirts*
- Let down hem on brown and navy pants
- Finish quilt top for BeckAY's quilt
* If you are wondering if I am shrinking, the answer is yes. Either that or I keep buying the wrong size clothes - that's a possibility as well. But no more baggies!
I love a good, productive weekend.
OH! I also found not only the lawnmower I needed ($45 for a used Snapper), but a FREE twin mattress in excellent shape. Mabel (a.k.a. "the climber") is well on her way to a big girl bed by the end of summer. And of course I will wrap that sucker up in an impenetrable allergy bag.
Hope your weekend was also great.
May 1, 2009
She did not like me following her around.
Then she did. In fact, she decided to use the cute top as a platform to make Nana start packing her bags. Chop-chop, Nana.
Do you see that "A" on the bottom of the shoe? Side note: that is a perfect demonstration of my... retentiveness at age 10. I labelled the bottom of Jan Ozzy's shoes so I would know which pair of shoes belonged to which doll. God forbid they get messed up. *Ahem.*
Oh dear. I don't think those pudgy toes are going to fit. Nana, what do you think?