May 19, 2010

Humble Yourself In The Sight Of The Lord

When I was young, I went to a Christian Youth Camp just outside of the small town I grew up in every summer for two weeks. I learned how to shave my legs, held hands with a boy for the first time, had shaving cream fights, made up skits to bible stories... and then came to Christ and was baptised one hot July night. I was 15. I remember that so clearly: the warm water, hearing the cheering teenagers celebrating my obedient dunk from underneath the water. We sang a campfire devotional song every night, and as I sat there after my dunking and dried out on that log, I was humbled.


Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord
Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord
And He
And He
Will lift you up.


I still sing it. While vacuuming. Sewing. At work, walking between the press machines. Driving to B's. Serving food to the needy.


Yesterday, B and I (along with about 20 other coworkers) cooked and served a meal to the needy and homeless in our community. I have commented a lot about how the hearts are bigger out here, about how the value system in the Midwest is unparalleled, in my opinion. As it turns out, those in need are the most gracious and loving of them all. They all said thank you. They smiled. The children... oh my heart, the children. We served more than 400 people last night. We poured 27 gallons of milk.


While I cooked, I goofed off with coworkers and thought about how blessed I am to have a job.


I mixed cole slaw by hand and thought about how blessed I am to have food on my table every night.




I watched B cook. Goof. Wipe tables and bust ass for SEVEN HOURS beside me. He smiled the whole time.



I washed a pan and realized that I am surrounded by everything I need: a forgiving God, a job and a home, my 3 gorgeous kidlets, an amazing boyfriend, 2 best friends who know me better than I know myself, more friends than I've ever had in my life, and a mom who could make Rose Nilund look abrasive. Most importantly, my attitude about faith and perserverance prevails: no matter what happens, God is in control. Everything else will pass as He intends it.


It was a lesson on life. It was humbling to realize that only one moment - one decision - separates each of us from those who came through the food line last night. God calls upon us to pray for them and to SERVE THEM humbly.


I'm so blessed that we did.


3 comments:

  1. So happy for you. There is nothing better than serving alongside your hunny! I know, we've done it many times. It's how God intended us to be, of one mind, one heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I found your blog, but I'm now a regular reader and enjoy hearing about your ups and downs of life.

    Today's entry hit home. Been a long, tough day and I needed to be reminded that God is in control.

    Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great photo! there is something so rewarding about serving, it's funny but true that you get so much more than you give.
    I am looking forward to our mission trip, this year we will be working in NH.It will be my fifth year going and serving beside our high school youth group from church, what amazing young people I have the privilege of spending 10 days with!

    ReplyDelete