December 21, 2010

Decorating For Christmas


I'm really digging the deer antlers shown by Bloesem. And yes, I asked for Bryon to go kill me a pair. [We happily donate the meat; I'm all for hunting as long as it's legal and someone eats it. I just can't handle venison myself.] He said no, though. Poo. Maybe I'll ask my future brother in law instead.



It's natural to think of Christmas memories when you decorate your home for the holidays. Years past, parties, dinners, presents, children... I am so happily content with my Christmas decor this year that I had to post about it. There is a deeper lesson here, I think.


For years I wanted a tree that was perfect. Color-coordinated and showy. My ex and I spent so much money every holiday on decorations and the perfect swags. Ugh. And back then I didn't really understand the handmade tree. When you're tapped into SNOB, it is hard to look up.


As the children were born and grew, they began to come home with little ornaments that they made. I am so incredibly grateful that I've kept them. Now, when that is all I want to see.







Now I am tapped into LOVE. True family. Spirit. God's grace and wisdom. I want a tree with a mess of handmade things hanging on it. It shouldn't match perfectly. Lopsided is okay, too. And pom poms better be somewhere. Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. handmade is so hearfelt...and it makes it a REAL tree!! Merry Christmas to you and yours! All of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love handmade decs, and old ones too. I have some on my tree which are almost 60 years old. My Grandma used to hang them as rattles from my mums pram when she was a baby. Every year I buy or make a new decoration.

    This year I've got Santa's washing line hanging over my fire!

    Happy Christmas! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've sicovered a great secret I think! When I was younger I too didn't appreciate the homemade ornaments but now Oh goodness they are my favorite and I don't know what I would do without them. I love to just sit back, gaze at the tree and remember all over again all of these old ornaments that hang on my tree. Many of them are from when myself and even my mother were young so they some ahve been a part of every Christmas for me.

    With that said though, this year we got started late and the rats ate our faux tree in the barn so when everything started to go on sale we went and bought a new one and all blue, silver and white ornaments. I've always wanted a blue and silver tree. Maybe not again, I miss my "old" things and feels a bit lonely around the tree this year. Lesson learned :)

    ReplyDelete