February 14, 2011

Lead Me

No secret that Christian music moves me and talks to my soul. This song... my God in Heaven sent this song to me. Really, I think He knew I needed this healing, this closure and this promise as I walk into a new forever. This song has been out a while but I have struggled with how to share it here. This song is about bounding toward new priorities and leaving your family behind - even if it happens accidentally.

The plea is worth sharing, so here it is. Please listen to this song. Pass it on to your spouse and talk about your priorities. Then go to Sanctus Real's website - really, come on now - humor me. Go there and look at the Husband's prayer and the Wife's prayer. They will knock your socks off if you let them. Those prayers are going to be part of our ceremony.

I am so grateful for this song, this reminder for men to lead their wives. People have their priorities whacked out these days. Women are called to serve their husbands, and husbands are called to love their wives as Christ loved the church. Moreover, husbands are called to be the leader of the family - PERIOD. When they are not, things are unbalanced. Wives and children feel lost and insecure. This was the disaster that ended my first marriage, more than any other issue. Do I wish I'd had this song back then? I can't answer that and I will tell you why. I would not have understood what this song meant then. I'm not sure Shoes will ever understand it. I'm not him so I can't say. The reason I understand the profound meaning behind this plea now is because I know what happens when that plea isn't made. When the priorities aren't right. And it sucks.

I mean, money is great an all. Hell, I'd love enough to pay all of my bills and put 3 of our kids in braces. But you know what? Money isn't jack shit in the big scheme of things. The love of money is the root of all evil. Beware the corporate game. Take stock of where your time is spent.

So, listen. Remind yourselves to keep your priorities in check. God. Family. THEN friends and even work after. I'm not telling you to goof off or mess up your job, but I AM telling you to remember what is truly important to you and put that first. Really. Teach others (work) how to respect you. SHOW THEM that you have boundaries. Then, jealously guard your time. Everything other than love - God's and your family's - is just stuff. It won't be what you talk about when you check in at the pearly gates, believe me. Work can't keep you warm at night. Work can't absolve you of your sins. Work is not unconditional. LOVE IS WHERE IT'S AT.

Oh - and this is so important - you know what? You men (not that a great many of you read my website) - YOU DON'T HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING! You don't need to know how to lead a family in order to do it. You're not supposed to know how. GOD DOES. He wants you to rely on Him. God will give you everything you need when you ask Him. You're not supposed to be married alone.

Okay, enough soap box. Off you go. Listen!







I look around and see my wonderful life
Almost perfect from the outside
In picture frames I see my beautiful wife
Always smiling
But on the inside, I can hear her saying...

“Lead me with strong hands
Stand up when I can't
Don't leave me hungry for love
Chasing dreams, what about us?

Show me you're willing to fight
That I'm still the love of your life
I know we call this our home
But I still feel alone”

I see their faces, look in their innocent eyes
They're just children from the outside
I'm working hard, I tell myself they'll be fine
They're independent
But on the inside, I can hear them saying...

“Lead me with strong hands
Stand up when I can't
Don't leave me hungry for love
Chasing dreams, but what about us?

Show me you're willing to fight
That I'm still the love of your life
I know we call this our home
But I still feel alone”

So Father, give me the strength
To be everything I'm called to be
Oh, Father, show me the way
To lead them
Won't You lead me?

To lead them with strong hands
To stand up when they can't
Don't want to leave them hungry for love,
Chasing things that I could give up

I'll show them I'm willing to fight
And give them the best of my life
So we can call this our home
Lead me, 'cause I can't do this alone

Father, lead me, 'cause I can't do this alone




PS: Did you know that Sanctus Real is originally from ... back where we were from? They totally are! So cool. They are also collecting prayers for the lead singer's little baby boy who has HLHS - a heart defect. (He's doing well.) And they are coming to Lifelight this fall! WOOT!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks!

    So happy for you and yours. It is going to be an awesome "from now on" for all of you!

    ReplyDelete