March 13, 2011

Into The Mystic


Did you know that Bryon and I danced to Into The Mystic for our first dance as husband and wife? We didn't plan that. In fact, we didn't plan the dance at all. We discussed it and narrowed it down (so good that we have so many favorites) and then at the reception we decided we wanted the band to play it (and be able to play it), which narrowed it further. When it was The Moment, I stood in the center of the dance floor while B walked over to Big Scott (main band guy) and they whispered for a few. He told me later that Big Scott suggested it and the moment he said, "Into.." Bryon's heart was won.

And then, from the middle of the glossy dance floor, I heard the chords start.

It was amazingly perfect.

Unplanned.

Ordained instead.

We'd danced in my pink kitchen to this Van Morrison song several times.

And when that fog horn blows I will be coming home
And when the fog horn blows I want to hear it
I don't have to fear it

And I want to rock your gypsy soul
Just like way back in the days of old
And magnificently we will flow into the mystic

And I swear that the boat in the water with the quilts on top was the picture I had in my head at that moment. A picture of our life together. Calm. Floating through life - some waters rough and some calm, secure in Christ's love as well as our own. Wrapped in comfort and creativity. Joined, just us.

And then when I saw this picture for the very first time on the slow life today, I thought of our fathers - who wouldn't be caught dead in a quilt covered hippie love nest - but who would absolutely adore our need for water. The boat is symbolic, see. Larry and Richard are both up there in Heaven watching us every day. Fishing or something. This one they rolled their eyes at the detail, but loved anyway. Thanks, Dads!



Oh! And my point was... I want to make a fort with my husband. On the water, in the living room, I don't give a crap. I need one. Quilts on top, a bottle of wine, the iPod, and his arms.

1 comment:

  1. My hubs and I have enjoyed dancing to that song a few times ourselves! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete