March 2, 2011

The Non Rehearsal Dinner

I guess the best way to tell the story is to start from the beginning, right? Unless you're me and you jump all over the place by accident. And actually the beginning would include the collision between Mindy's kids and our own because they spent the night before the wedding and OH HOLY DAY the collision was L O U D and grand. But that will come later.

Yes, Mindy drove her brood of 7 all the way from the border of Texas (as in the one next to Mexico) up to our place in Da Plains to be a part of our day. I cannot thank her enough. It was AMAZING to have her there.

The night before the wedding, we invited our friends to Tré Lounge for a non-rehearsal dinner. Tré was the spot of our first date and our favorite place to hang out after our premarital counseling sessions. We love it and the food is ah-mazing. We called it "non-rehearsal" because we didn't want to rehearse, and who can rehearse a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants-and-oh-by-the-way-its-supposed-to-snow-tomorrow wedding anyway?

Assembled were: Shannon and Shelly, Joe and Jess, Roger and Mindy, and Bryon and I. There were a heck of a lot of martinis consumed and more than half of a cow. I think. I mean, I'm not sure. About the martinis. All I know for certain is that the old lady sitting behind us shhhh'd me at some point during dinner (let's all thank Jesus I didn't hear her). Whatevs. My volume button gets spun up when I have a martini and dang it, I was getting married the next day. 




[I would really like to know what the discussion was here (deer? rifles?) because neither Roger nor Shannon was uptight or quiet the entire night.]


After dinner we went to a local pub where the band we'd hired to play the reception was playing... so our peeps got a great preview of their awesome capabilities and we got to listen to them play Jack Johnson for the first time. Not to mention a Neil medley than made Bryon and I both all woozy.

At the end of the night, the boys (both big and little) went to Shannon's to spend one last bachelor boys night and Jess, Shelly, and Mindy came back to the house with me (and Hales and Moo). Jess and Shell split the couches and Mindy and I, true to form, shared a bed. Because that's what we do. And I'm not going to lie, Mindy and I laid in that bed and talked for two more hours and that was my favorite part of her visit.

I went to sleep soaking up the last night I would go to sleep again, unmarried. The last night I would spend with the last name of Cox. I felt the beginning of something big and wonderful and holy waiting for me with the sun. I prayed until I drifted off, putting everything in God's hands.

The next morning - early, before the sun was completely up - all of the texting started. Each of them said something like this: "look out your window! what a perfect day to get married outside! there is snow EVERYWHERE... God provided the perfect backdrop!"

I rushed to the window and opened the wooden blinds.

And friends, it was
     absolutely
          BEAUTIFUL. 

1 comment:

  1. Oooh you're giving me goose bumps! Can't wait to hear the next chapter! i need to see that snowy morning photo!

    x

    ReplyDelete