June 21, 2011

Purity

There is purity in the old-fashioned, I believe.

Not everything need be the old way, I guess. I love my iPod [over a Walkman] just as much as the next guy. But some things can be savored in a better way when they’re done by hand.

Some things teach the value of hard work.

On Friday we went to the grocery store. We picked out corn on the cob for dinner (and kebobs, if you’re curious). Standing there in front of the display, Bryon left it to me. “Pre-shucked or shuck-it-yourself?” One stack, all clean and ready to go. The other, green and husky and dirty, needing time and clean up after. I looked at the price tag, too. Post-shucked was more expensive, of course, but this time it wasn’t by much. No matter. “Let’s shuck it ourselves,” I decided. That night after we got home, Hayley went off of her bike through the neighborhood and my husband and I squatted down on the front porch with a paper bag and shucked those ears together. It was our first time shucking side by side. There was purity in it. He started talking about when he was little. Then *I* started talking about when I was little. PURITY. What kind of stories can you tell about buying some pre-shucked corn? None. Isn’t it our responsibility as parents to teach our children the value of things? To find beauty in the process? Grace in the mess?

How about chocolate sauce? Remember that? Homemade over store-bought.

Vintage towels and sheets? Oh yes. It’s our natural inclination to immediately go shopping when we realize we need something. That’s how society has cultured us. I’m telling you, there is purity in reuse and repurposing. Sometimes it doesn’t work out; sometimes you need new. But I always prefer to look for used. I would say Bryon had no idea (until recently) how much of our home didn’t start off belonging to me. I just sort of came with a Pyrex collection (that I use DAILY) and old sheets. As far as he knew, they could have been my granny Bertha’s. Except they weren’t. They were somebody’s granny Bertha’s though, and that counts as something! Those vintage things in our home have character and history. They were loved and needed on. Oh I just adore that!

We went fishing recently. Worms first, then lures. Purity.

Hayley has been learning how to embroider with me. We’ve picked out fabric for skirts. I want to teach her how to make it instead of buy it. Purity.

We’ve been looking for bunkbeds for the girls’ room for some time now. Well, sort of. I’ve been finding inspiration online but we only recently started going into store after store after store, looking for them. Spending $1,000 makes both of us want to pass out. This past weekend, we went into every resale shop I knew of to look for bunkbeds. They’ll be there eventually. I love that Bryon’s finally hitched on to the idea of OLD being NEW. The pennies finally convinced him! Purity.

Now if I could just get him sold on homemade laundry detergent, we’d be good.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. There's something so comforting about the broken-in quality of old.

    Oh, and I actually enjoy shucking corn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like vintage and old fashioned too. I tend more to use the vintage sheets for quilt backs though.

    Have you looked at Ana White's website for build your own bunkbed plans? They are FREE.

    I've been looking at the play kitchen plans and easel, etc. I will get my husband to be a woodworker somehow!

    ReplyDelete