October 4, 2011

Decor Discussion: Art

It's been a while since I've really had time to sit about the house staring at the walls and making plans. It's been months since I've had time to let the inspiration take hold and the notebook and pen to find my hands. I need one of those scribbling nights soon.

I've been thinking a lot about art lately. Art is an area in which Bryon and I have no experience together yet. I have collected several pieces from Etsy over the past few years, but you can't just assume someone will love your taste in art just because they love you. Oh no way. And Bryon? Well, Bryon likes some of my things, but he doesn't like my enormous Favor poster anywhere but in the girls' room. He definitely wants to keep my father's French paintings in low doses. Okay then. It's time to embrace some things that we BOTH like.

It's hard to know where to start. Yesterday I sent him this contemporary art by Yanyang Pan on a whim. I love the colors and the happiness, but it was possible he could think it looked like a mess. Much to my surprise, he thought it was nice! SCORE. Now I can more easily define the direction we should be looking in.




Do you guys read Lonny Magazine? It's online only, but sooooo full of wonderfulness. I pinned so many images from the last edition. Check them out...


The art in this magazine is phenomenal. Effortless. And I am sure it can be inexpensive - who has $$ for artwork? Not I!



Look at what else I found (and yes, that unicorn is going in the most unicorn-friendly place in our home) on Etsy:


This set by ashleyg (I have a few things from her already).


This stinkin' cute mixed media piece by JuliaPott.

I think my biggest take-away has been how easy it is to acquire great art these days. Etsy wasn't around even a decade ago. And people are freely mixing and matching fine art with handmade art, canvas with photography, anything goes! I am excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment