October 18, 2011

Doug's Quilt

Andrew's quilt has been a lot of things over the past year. I didn't start it as early as Trevor's, but it has been in the works for a long, long time as well. It started with a stack of darling boy-cute fabrics full of puppies and red & blue plaid, laid upon the wood floor of our old house. Except, Andy is not 5. He is NINE. Did you know that Andy wanted to be a puppy when he grew up? He did, for a whole lot of years. But somewhere a few years ago, those wants went from puppy to girl-talk and spygear and maps. Holy cow, remember the maps?

It was during this time that I started to re-evaluate what Andy's quilt should look like. I wanted it to grow with him and be welcome on his bed until high school. A combination of those thoughts and some colorblocking quilts I'd seen let me to this:


Andy loves bright colors, arguing his favorite between green and blue (depends on the day, see). And don't forget yellow. Man, the kid loves yellow (that is my fault and I take full credit for it). So this beauty basically laid itself out on the living room floor very easily. There was no pattern except whatever it was that sprang into my head as I laid one piece here and one piece there. It is fully reversible as well. The happy camper fabric from Heather Ross makes the whole quilt and was worth every penny.



Topquilter Mary played again with this quilt, using varigated yellow thread for her camping-themed pattern. 






The snarfling is hard core in this bad boy already; Andy LOVES it.

7 comments:

  1. Who's Doug? I actually started following your blog because of your quilting--it's fun to see these. I'd love to see a whole pic of this most recent one, and I love Trevor's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug is Andy! :)

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure those campers aren't Heather Ross instead of Amy Butler? They look a lot like her work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that was Denyse Schmit camper fabric?? It is definitely a pretty penny on Etsy!!! Love the color blocking!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. psst~~ i think your 'happy camper' fabric is by heather ross...not amy butler??? doug/andy is a lucky dude! love the quilt!!

    ps~ i'm posting as 'anonymous' because google is the ultimate pain-in-the-butt~ it's simply impossible to post. i wonder if why the comment above is an 'anonymous' post as well. most times i just give up as far as posting on google blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap - yes that's a typo, Folks. It's Heather Ross' Happy Campers, NOT Amy Butler. oops!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather, Amy, whatever... I just know that's an AMAZING quilt.

    ReplyDelete