December 23, 2011

Homeade Cream of Mushroom Soup

I love to make soup. It is one of my favorite things ever to cook. And I know that my soups are great because my kids ASK FOR IT. Soups are kinda my thing. A couple of weekends ago, I added a new one to my repertoire.
It started because I wanted tater tot hot dish for dinner. It was a casserole sort of night and we do live in the heart of the Midwest/Northern Plains/whatevah. It's also on the hubs' short list of favorite meals. While the boys Guitar Hero-d downstairs, I set out to get my ingredients together (this can vary by household of course, but we include: hamburger, cream of mushroom soup, green beans, black beans, and tater tots).

It was then that I noticed that I had only one can of cream of mushroom soup. I quick studied the ingredients to see if I could manage with one, add milk, do some magic and was startled to find MSG listed. Hubs has a reaction to MSG sometimes. While he'd never had a reaction to hot dish before (even having used the canned soup hundreds of times), I decided right then and there that there must be a better way. I did a very quick search on my phone and found this quick link: http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-cream-of-mushroom-soup-264191 to homemade cream of mushroom soup. I imagine there are multiple recipes out there, but this is the one I used:
  • 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped  
  • 2 tablespoons chopped onions (I used half an onion)
  • 1 -2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons butter (I used 4 because I was too lazy to cut it up and wanted to channel Pioneer Woman instead)
  • 2 -3 tablespoons flour (I used wheat)
  • 2 cups chicken broth*
  • 1 cup light cream or 1 cup evaporated milk   (I used skim milk)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

* This is the no-MSG stock I used for my chicken broth, if you're curious. It's delicious.

I did not follow it the recipe exactly. That's the thing about soups. If you know the basics, you can rock it out in any direction you'd like, using whatever you have in the fridge. Use beef stock instead if you have it. Omit the mushrooms if your kids won't eat them and you want more of a cream of chicken flavor. I also did not add my onions to the soup until after I had sauteed them in red wine (just some leftover pinot I had on hand) and butter.
I'll never buy the canned again. It's too quick to make homemade - just 15 minutes. And much, much healthier for your whole family. 


Hopefully you're all well on your way to a safe and happy Christmas weekend. And before I forget, I have a big prayer request for all of you reading. Please pray for my friend's teenage son, D. He was diagnosed with leukemia just this week and has already undergone his first chemotherapy treatment. He is in fantastic spirits and is waiting for God to continue to guide him through this journey. But let's pray. Please, please pray that D is healed, healthy, and tolerates treatment well. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment