December 29, 2011

Monkey Bread

I used to make cinnamon rolls every Christmas morning. You know, the packaged kind. Until this year when two things occured to me: #1 We have these rolls more often now, so the super-special-indulgence of them has worn off (just ask my thighs), and #2 I wanted to cook something with my girls.

I decided on monkey bread, and we made it on the day we celebrated Christmas morning. Bryon, true to form, took Andy and went last-minute shopping that morning. Trevor was still snoring. So the girls and I hit the kitchen.




The recipe I used was from the Pioneer Woman. It's identical to the one my mommy and I followed when I was a little punkin'.

4 cans Buttermilk Biscuits (the Non-flaky Ones)
1/2 cup Sugar
2 teaspoons (to 3 Teaspoons) Cinnamon
2 sticks Butter
1/2 cup Brown Sugar


First, a proper apron is required. Well, not really. But I love any excuse to wear it. And next year, the girls will need aprons, too.



Time to get the monkeys out!

BWOP!


The girls lined the monkeys up so that I could cut them into quarters. Then they put them into a big plastic bowl while we made the butter sauce and the cinnamon sugar coating.




Butter sauce: one stick per princess, please.



The eldest and tallest girl is big enough to keep an eye on the butter sauce, and she stirred for me.



 
In what was the most fun part of the recipe (or so they thought), the making of the cinnamon sugar coating... each got to dip and dump. Hayley was chosen to pack the brown sugar, which is why her right hand is brown and glittery. Yum.

 

 
Then the monkeys must go into the bag with the cinnamon sugar. The girls were very concerned that all of the pieces be separate. Okay then.

 



You get to shake the bag like crazy? WHAT!?



Boy howdy they shook those monkeys. Most fun part of the recipe, Mom!




Then our little biscuit monkeys were carefully placed into the bundt pan (no need to grease it, your butter sauce is plenty non-stick enough). This part was the messiest. They got sparkly sugar all over the place.




Ahem.





With my two pretty princesses off washing their hands (with soap in the bathroom), I poured the hot butter sauce over the monkey bread. It looks soupy to start, but soaks into the biscuits while in the oven.




MERCY!

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, that looks like a sensational Christmas breakfast and so much easier than cinnamon rolls too. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your monkey bread up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/12/sweets-for-saturday-50.html. It'll be open till Monday night.

    ReplyDelete