July 16, 2012

Black Beans

Bryon and I loooooove black beans. I put them in all sorts of things, sometimes when the kids aren't looking. Other times when their eyes are wide open.

Meatloaf
Burgers
Casseroles
Burritos

The other night I wanted to make a side dish with them, pay them some attention, allow them to stand all on their own.

I Googled a little bit, read a few way-too-fancy recipes, and then came up with something.

In a saucepan, I combined a can of black beans (very well rinsed and drained) with:
1/4 yellow onion, diced and carmelized first on the stove
3/4 tsp minced fresh garlic
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp lime juice
half handful of chopped fresh cilantro
salt
pepper


And then I got jiggy with it. I had a few yellow sunburst tomatoes in the fridge, which got sliced up and thrown in, just for some sweetness and color.




And then I simmered it on the stove for about 15 minutes. The beans did fall apart a little while I stirred, but I loved the consistency once it was finished. I also added about 1/8 C water to keep it from getting dry while it simmered. [Also a tsp on top before reheating.]

It was SO awesome. So, so delicious. The onions, lime, and cayenne were nice and tangy. Husband added some Tabasco because he's a wild man.

I must warn you, It's not pretty. Not once you stir it a few times. But the deliciousness makes up for the ugliness. It's not as ugly as refried beans, but I feel like I need to be honest with you.




If you try them, please let me know what you think, or what you add to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment