February 13, 2013

Weddennessday

Two weeks ago, the weather was wonderful. Last weekend we had a blizzard. Granted – not the dump that BeckAY got in New England, but I say this: 3 feet of snow is like… a Monday here. I think it comes down to preparedness maybe? Anyway, time is passing so quickly and we find ourselves already planning to be outside, working in the dirt and grateful for Spring. Except there is still snow on the ground. Must mean there is more cleansing necessary.

Mabel got a haircut last weekend. I trimmed her up a few weeks ago but we’ve been eyeballing a darling style for her – she requested something shorter. Her hair is outright crazy sometimes and between preschool and gymnastics, it was time for a change. One Saturday morning she awoke with a chirp and bounded up the steps. Daddy had gone to work and we’d already put some eggs on to boil for breakfast. After a quick shower, I gave her a fancy new haircut. [Still, NO BANGS.] Which I had to continue trimming until it was just right. Now I know why hairstylists say a graduated bob is one of the most difficult cuts to do - and I’m not a hairstylist! But afterwards, I couldn’t stop staring at her. So adorable! Also, my inner hairstylist did a belly flip during the snipping – huzzah!

Speaking of hair, I did have mine cut on Saturday. I didn’t go with the short Candace Cameron hair that I stalked while watching Hallmark Channel. I decided to do something a bit less drastic. Still, she took off about 3 inches and layered me up some more. Feels great. In terms of color, I LOVED the color I had when I walked in the door – about ½ shade darker than my natural. I didn’t want to do all over color and mess that up, so she chose to dye my roots and put a clear glaze on the rest. Perfect! It’s been a while since I’ve left a salon feeling great about my hair, so I was incredibly grateful to do so.

The closets downstairs are mostly finished. Trevor and Bryon cut the wood and I air nailed them in. I cannot tell you how excited I am about this. Of course this means I had to touch up the interior of the closet with paint before I could load it up because I painted it for the first time at night, half upside down. Anyway, I’m hoping to make time for a big closet reorg this weekend. Strange things that make me excited.

I’m gonna tell you people something. My husband and I have a date with this new song by Fun. We are going to find a sitter, find a bar with karaoke, and SHOUT ‘We Are Young’ until we fall over. I cannot tell you what an anthem this song is for the young woman that exists in my soul. It’s like the Black Eyed Peas song ‘I Gotta Feeling.’ When I hear ‘We Are Young’ my gall bladder starts flamenco dancing and I want to grab my husband and make out on top of a pool table.

I had to wear a bandaid to the office this week because I burned the top of my hand while cooking. While basting my ham, I was very careful not to hit the top of the oven. Instead, I opened the drawer beneath the oven to get a lid out for the mashed potatoes and bumped the top of my hand on the underside of the very, very hot oven. I swear, only I am capable of this crap. Ouch! The bandaid looks super classy, let me tell you.

Did I mention that Hayley has been seeing a personal trainer twice a week? It’s not something we initiated, but we are on board so far. We want to ensure Hales keeps a healthy self-image and knows that beauty is on the INSIDE first (thinking of scriptures that describe what a beautiful woman acts like to Jesus – something all of us girls should remind ourselves of often). Hayley has been exhausted as her body learns how to move more, but her grades are holding and her behavior has been good, and she seems happier with herself. The trainer is fantastic with her; I will say that.

After decades of suffering from headaches, I have finally found some relief, Peeps. Our neighbor is a sinus/allergy sufferer who also had frequent headaches. He recently recommended I try OTC Zyrtec. I was skeptical (aren’t I always?). It has been a week since I started taking one a day, and I am THRILLED to say that it truly relieves much of my sinus pressure – which has eliminated DAYS of headaches.

This morning my breakfast was a handful of almonds with triscuits and pepper jack cheese. Goes great with coffee! But I’m just weird like that. Protein for breakfast is a key to weight control, I am convinced!

Mabel is learning how to flip in gymnastics. Not the 10-step, take your time, learn 80 things at the same time way like before, either. As in… jump and roll in the air. Just do it-style. Two weeks ago we watched her on the bouncy mat run and jump forward. She freaked a little. Apparently she fears nothing – except landing on her head. So Coach Paul caught her, helped her turn in the air, and told us to go home and practice on the bed. She needs practice to stay fearless. Well, okay then. If you say so. Because after flipping is flip FLOPPING, end on end, down the trampoline. Holy crap she’s progressing fast. We watched a 6 year old last week on the parallel bars with tears in our eyes – so tiny, but SO powerful and talented. Whoa. Please pray that we can continue to afford this sport for our little, Friends.

Did you know that every time I blog about child support or bills, or worrying about the kids, loving life, or when I talk about mushy sexy love with my husband, I get a new comment from Anonymous? I log all of them, of course. And track the IP address. But it seems this Anonymous has only one word to say to me, and it’s the ‘C word’ that I used to find disgusting and humiliating and vile. Ha. Used to is right. What this Anonymous doesn’t realize is that my exhusband’s treatment of our life together and our divorce apart was a million times more disgusting and vile. That C word isn’t gross to me anymore and when bullied, I know how to channel that word like nobody’s beeswax. I wish Anonymous would a) have the accountability to sign their note, and b) USE A THESAURUS. For pete’s sake.

Carrying on.

Wait! Stop back. I would also like to address the hater I have that seems super worried about when and where I write and how I allocate my time – are you freaking kidding me? Because I have a full time job or 4 children to raise I cannot keep a blog? Um… no. People, I work hard. Way hard. But I need a creative outlet. And I refuse to be penalized for being twice as productive as the average joe and twice as able to carry more projects AND manage them correctly. If that makes you hate me, so be it. I also won’t apologize for bitching about my workload because apparently being fantastic at something means that everyone gives you more to do, and some people assume you will do their job for them. Does that mean that I want to pull my hair out? You betcha. And do I still take breaks during the day and walk tomato soup up to my husband? You bet your ass I do. It also means I can look at Pinterest on the potty, make a grocery list in my brain, and STILL get more than my own job done beautifully. I am not perfect, but I am hella productive. Have been my whole life. Annoying, isn't it? Not the first time I've heard notes of jealousy, but I consider it a talent. Everyone has a talent or two, and this is one of mine. I appreciate your concern, though. You might also be interested to know that I also want to punch myself in the face sometimes. But I don’t because I tend to overreact. Amen.

So my sexy Jedi husband’s new cowboy boots make him taller than me by a couple of inches. That is weird. And WAY cool. Hubba hubba ye haw! Dear concerts, please start booking in Da Plains for this year. Amen. Again.

PEEPS! Guess what my husband did for me! He made arrangements for a babysitter AND a date for this Friday for Valentine’s. HOLLAH! Our favorite band is performing in town and he’s taking me to see them. These are the guys that played at our wedding and chose ‘Into The Mystic’ for our first dance because they are wicked awesome. Also, Bryon took Andy out for some guy time this week in an effort to love on him all special-like. My husband is AMAZING. He continually works hard for us, loves hard on us, and tries to be the best man he can be. I am bowled over. And I give all of the glory to God for it!

Please have a happy ValenTINE’S day, Friends. Remember Jesus died for us as the ultimate gift of love. Love is patient and kind and does not boast. It keeps no record of wrong. It endures ALL things. I wish that for all of you. MWAH.

No comments:

Post a Comment