May 14, 2013

Happy Mother's Day




I had a wonderful Mother's Day. As I have mentioned before, for years that was not the case. I cannot express to you the gratitude I have for a husband that appreciates my efforts, takes the time to build my confidence as a wife and mother, and really makes my day into a whole weekend. Bryon has changed my Mother's Day since our first one together years ago when he bought his single mom-girlfriend the best card.

This year we spent Friday curled on the couch. Saturday he took the boys fishing [where Trev reeled in a 10# carp, which he treble hooked under the dorsal fin] and when he got home, I left to spend time without anyone pulling on me. I never did get around to tanning, but I did go to the mall and pick out some fancy new knickers and some awesome butt jeans. Before purchasing, I took several shots to send to my Jedi just to be sure I was selecting the most flattering pair. I even stopped into our brand new Sephora for a while. I wandered for hours and that break felt amazing.






When I got home, there were flowers. White ranunculas, which are my favorite. They're hard to find in Da Plains as it turns out, but my boys had driven all around town while I wandered in an effort to surprise me. So sweet. And in the freezer were little Baby Ruth bars, which I love frozen - something picked out by Trevor. Precious boy has a heart for his mama.

We made it to church on Sunday and I'm so deliciously grateful for that, too. The kids got me the best cards and after they misbehaved, Bryon asked them to write me letters of gratitude. Oh those letters, Peeps. They brought tears to my eyes and a smile to my heart. Andy wrote, "Without you, I'd be dead in a parking lot by now, run over by a car." Then Mabel thanked me for always keeping her clean and pretty. Sweet things. Just so grateful!

Bryon and I picked out some new flowering bushes for the backyard together on Sunday afternoon.





I asked to make dinner (they weren't going to let me): homemade fettuccine alfredo with sauteed shrimp, crusty bread with balsamic and oil, and moscato. I spent time with my husband soaking and preparing the raw shrimp and then sauteing them with olive oil, butter, garlic, and wine. The shrimp were so good my husband's eyes rolled back into his head.

Finally over a fire, my husband gave me his card. He told me that he looked up the exact verse he wanted to use that morning. I was - and still am - incredibly impressed by my husband's compass for the Lord. He feels himself drawn and he obediently follows. God must exist in a marriage; He must be first.

I was able to talk to Nana every day this weekend, too. And Sharon came over while we ate. It was lovely. I thought of my friend Carmen, who has two mothers in Heaven this year. And of some family that is struggling to find their way as well. I am humbled by all of the blessings God has given me. I am thankful to my Creator God for sustaining me and for allowing me to experience this joy.






Proverbs 31:10-12

Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. 11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. 12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.



Happy Mother's Day to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment