October 7, 2013

Oh, Ephesians



2 Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love. 3 Make every effort to keep yourselves united in the Spirit, binding yourselves together with peace.


This was the verse of the day last week on KLOVE. I think it's particularly sweet because recently while Bryon lay in bed searching through the leather book in his hands for 'just the right verse' at the time, he stopped in the book of Ephesians.  

Yes. YES.

What a wonderful verse. I know I need reminding of this. I am strong-willed and my own boss. Nobody EVER pushes me around. Also because I have a ginormous heart and do everything so passionately, I am hurt quite easily if others don't understand my viewpoint. I'd rather be understood than right - and that is really saying something. It's hard to respect someone who refuses to listen to you or who has hurt you. But this scripture proves that we are called to do exactly that, out of love.

Finding a way to stay humble and gentle - that one I need to work on. And embracing those who are strongly different than me? That is a task, too. But I'm going to continue to make every effort to do exactly that. I feel I should carry a warning sometimes, because I live my life as an open book and I don't lie. Sometimes that means I am willing to say things that others wouldn't, but that has inserted my foot into my mouth on a few occasions. It's a risk you take being an open and honest book. I've never been afraid to ask hard questions or to push to learn something new myself.

I talked to Nana Judy the other night. She loved on me for being exactly the person God made me to be, big mouth and all. She told me she was proud of me for always standing up for what I believe is right even if others disagree. Then she told me a little story about a dinner she recently attended at her independent living facility. Judy was seated at a table with a half dozen of her little old lady friends when one of them began drumming on the table with her butter knife. Ol' Sylvia must have been feeling some soul that day because she clinked and clanged on her water glass, the salt shaker, and on her plate, too. Judy wasn't sure if the lady was tremoring or getting her groove on but after a while, it got really annoying. After even longer Judy very calmly looked across the table at the lady and said very matter-of-factly, "Excuse me, but if you don't stop your tinkle tankle over there, I'm going to shove that thing where the sun doesn't shine."  The table fell silent and the lady was startled. Mom must have been a bit worried that she'd hurt Ol' Sylvia's feelings at that point because then she said, "Oh, I'm sorry. But seriously, if you don't stop your tinkle tankling, I'm going to shove that thing where the sun doesn't shine, ok?"

I laughed my ass off listening to her story. Even in her 70's, just as honest as the day is long. I guess if you're not afraid of embarrassing yourself, why not say the thing everyone is wondering? For what it's worth, Mabel is also unafraid to ask the lady in the supermarket why she is buying so much toilet paper. HA. Anyway, are we at all surprised that I am an open book? This is why I don't play poker, People. Just one reason I love you, Nana Judy! I'd rather be strong and humiliated than hide, every time.




New blog design. You dig? It took a while, but I'm trying to keep with the times. The header up there will change again, but it's been down long enough I say!

Also, I've been driving to work barefoot. Just a better way to start the day, in my opinion. You don't have to agree with that either, though. 

2 comments:

  1. I love you and although this made me cry because I am a reflection of you in many ways.It also made me think about my life and reflect on how I must continue to rely on Jesus only and continue to love even if it breaks my heart.<3 What doesn't kill me will make me stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missed your blog and am glad you are back. I like the title - your name. Been reading your blog forever and have seen you grow and mature into the person you are today. As you continue on your journey, it seems timely to change your blog's name.

    ReplyDelete