March 28, 2016

Joey+Rory, Like a Mac Truck

The other night I pulled up Joey+Rory's new album, Hymns while we were taking Hayley home. And life and grief and joy hit me like a Mac truck, sitting right there in the seat.

Oh be still my heart. I bought the entire album and have been crying ever since.

Now, if you don't know about Joey+Rory , they are just the sweetest couple. Their lives have touched my heart deeply. Prior to Joey's passing, they sung country duets with an undying love for Christ, for one another, and for their precious daughter Indiana. Joey loved to garden and cook from scratch and she enjoyed the simple things in life. They've put out a few albums over the years and this newest one is a collection of old hymns. Just like the ones I grew up listening to at home, while visiting my grandma's house (on 8-track), and from the wooden pews at Locust Grove United Methodist Church. That was the Mac truck that hit me.

Just watch this one, Mom.

In The Garden




So as I listened to their new album, I was overwhelmed with wanting to share their music with my dad. These hymns have a bluegrass feel to them and I could almost feel him in my arms, dancing with me. Every memory I have with him washed over me sitting in that truck seat. I could barely breathe. Every day I miss him - even though he's been gone 19 years.

And I remembered that the Bible says that we will sing a new song in Heaven. Well, I can tell you one thing: my father could sing. I cannot wait to hear his voice again, singing these same hymns to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment